Earl Grey and Lemon Cake
Makes 1 9X5 inch loaf
- 165g butter, room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 160g cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g icing sugar
- 1 cup walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
- 50g honey
- 1 1/2 tbs Earl Grey tea leaves (chopped, if yours comes in larger leaves)
- zests of 2 lemons
- 1tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Sift flour and baking powder in a bowl. Whisk in the Earl Grey tea leaves and lemon zest.
- Cream butter and icing sugar together using an electric mixer till pale yellow and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, making sure each is incorporated well before adding the next.
- Add in the honey, vanilla extract, flour mixture and salt and mix for another 3 minutes.
- Using a spatula, fold in the walnuts gently.
- Line your baking tin with parchment paper if yours isn’t non-stick, and fill the tin with the batter till about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, watching that the top doesn’t brown too much. If it does, cover the top with tin foil and continue baking till a toothpick or skewer inserted into the middle comes out with only a few crumbs.
- Let the cake cool on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes before slicing.